FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – Sept 4, 2010
Regina Welcomes First Ukrainian Fall Fest!!
September 11th will mark Regina’s first outdoor Ukrainian festival as the Queen City joins other capital cities of Canada to celebrate the contributions of people of Ukrainian heritage to our society. The Regina Ukrainian Fall Fest (RUFF) will take place in Wascana Park, Legislative grounds and is hosted by the Ukrainian Canadian Congress- Regina Branch, which is celebrating its 70th anniversary as the coordinating body of the 19 Ukrainian organizations that continue to serve the artistic, cultural, social and civic community of Regina.
“Admission to this event is free”, says Holly Paluck, event coordinator. “We have planned it to be exciting, welcoming, generous and fun – everything Ukrainian people are known for! We also want it to be full of surprises for Ukrainians and all those who enjoy celebrating cultural diversity. Be sure to bring your camera – you’ll be glad you did!”
The festival will run from 11:00 am until 7:00 pm, and in the spirit of true Ukrainian hospitality, everyone is invited! The day has an amazing line-up of incredible events, displays, live performances, sporting events, vendors, and special appearances. A special website, www.uccruff.ca. has been developed for a complete listing of activities, schedules and event information. “Just bring a lawn chair or blanket and come down for a great day!” invites Diana Dumanski, Hospitality Chair. “The Regina Ukrainian community has been working non-stop to coordinate a day that everyone can enjoy. So, whether you are Ukrainian or not, young or old, newcomer to Regina or your family has been here for generations, you are going to have a blast!”
Some Highlights of Regina Ukrainian Fall Fest (“RUFF”) 2010:
- Traditional and contemporary Ukrainian performances from a diverse collection of very talented local dancers, singers, and musicians
- Cultural Displays & Demonstrations (loom weaving, ritual bread ornamentation, reverse glass painting, and a Byzantine Rite display)
- Children’s Activities & Games (Saskatchewan Science Centre Activity Tent, Griffith’s Petting Zoo & more!)
- Traditional Ritual Bread & Salt welcome for Deputy Premier Ken Krawetz, Ralph Goodale (MP), Tom Lukiwski (MP), and guests
- Ukrainian Football (soccer) game composed of two teams of Ukrainian newcomers who now call Regina home! (11am)
- Public recognition display of the 16 UCC Saskatchewan Provincial Council Nation Builder Award recipients, who are, or were, from the Regina area.
Traditional food, beverages, and vendor items are available.
FMI, Contact: Holly Paluck, Event Committee Chair: 501-9700 or email@example.com.