The cold weather took a toll on SWAC athletic events this week. Many of our basketball games were rescheduled and our senior curling district competition was revamped into a one-day competition.
The SCCHS Colts/Ardens wrestling team competed in Moose Jaw on Saturday, Feb. 9. The team had athletes place in the top three in the tournament. Wrestling in their individual weight classes, Sebastien Marchand placed first, Elijah Harden was second and Luke Nelson and Carlie McGregor placed third.
JUNIOR BASKETBALL LEAGUE
The last regular season league games for the junior girl teams were played on Feb. 4. Shaunavon Silhouettes beat the Wymark Wolverines and SC Gr 9 Ardens won over the Waldeck Warriors.
The league semi-final match ups are set. For the girls: #2 Waldeck Warriors will host the #3 Wymark Wolverines on Monday, Feb. 11. In the other semifinal, on Wednesday, Feb. 13, #1 SCCHS gr 9 Ardens will host the #4 Shaunavon Silhouettes.
The boy’s league playoffs will have the #1 SCCHS gr 9 Colts hosting the #4 Gull Lake Lions (Wednesday, Feb. 13). The second semifinal was won by the #2 Shaunavon Shadows over the #3 Maple Creek Rebels (by default). Shaunavon Shadows advance to the league final; the Maple Creek Rebels go to the third place game.
The league finals and third place game will be held in different sites on Thursday, Feb. 14. Sites and teams will depend upon results from the semi-finals. Game information will be posted on “SWACsports” Facebook and twitter Wednesday night.
SENIOR BASKETBALL LEAGUE
The Maple Creek Rebelles lost to the hometown Shaunavon Silhouettes 64-42. Top scorers for Shaunavon were Charlene Hoffarth with 15 points and Bryden Tremere with 14 points. Maple Creek’s top scorers were Morgan Bock with 12 points and Keya Davis chipped in nine points.
Herbert Laurel girls won at home against the SCCHS Jr Ardens 42-19. Irelynd Hauhian had 19 points for the Laurels and teammate Shyler Chartier added another nine points. Top scorers for the Ardens were Erika Sauder with four points and Jenna Olfert, Olivia Koebel, and Jordyn Salbert added three points each.
Swift Current Jr Colts hosted the Shaunavon Shadows and came away with the home court win 74-30. Top scorers for the Colts were Carson Letkeman with 14 points and Lane Fehr with 11 points. Austin Smith scored 22 points for the Shadows.
The Maple Creek Rebels scheduled game against the Frontier Raiders was moved to Thursday, Feb 14.
League games on Tuesday, February 12th: Shaunavon Silhouettes will travel to play the Herbert Laurels. The Maple Creek Rebels will be in Swift Current to play the Jr Ardens. SC Jr Colts are on the road to play the Gull Lake Lions and the Shaunavon Shadows will host the Frontier Raiders. Basketball league game times are set for 5:30 (and 7:00, if there is a double header at the host site). Schools may adjust those start times or who plays first, so make sure to check at your school before heading out to a game.
Senior Girls league standings:
Shaunavon Silhouettes 5-0
Herbert Laurels 3-2
Swift Current Jr Ardens 2-3
Maple Creek Rebelles 0-5
Senior Boys league standings
Swift Current Jr Colts 5-0
Frontier Raiders 3-1
Shaunavon Shadows 2-3
Gull Lake Lions 1-3
Maple Creek Rebels 0-4
SWAC SENIOR CURLING RESULTS
Senior District playoffs events were all moved to Saturday, Feb. 9 due to extreme cold temperatures on Friday. Thanks to the Val Marie curling rink (and commissioner Angela Clement) for being so adaptable with our revised draws.
- Girls “A” side: Maple Creek (Morgan Robinson-skip, Cassidy Gordon-3rd, Kathleen Portz-2nd, Louise Parsonage-lead, Grace Ungrin-alternate, Coach Holly Jamieson), Girls “B” side: Gull Lake (Rachael Murray-skip, Nikita Trapp-3rd, Brenlyn Butts-2nd, Jacey McCarty-lead, coach Bev Dutton/Kelsey Waker)
- Boys “A” side: SCCHS (Theo Lautsch-skip, Grady Rogers-3rd, Tanner Ewert- 2nd, Michael Orthner-lead, coach Ron Bailey), Boys “B” side: SCCHS (Beau Cornelson-skip, Dusty Cherpin-3rd, Carson Funk-2nd, Zander Rommeleare-lead, coach Ron Bailey )
- Mixed “A” Side: Val Marie (Alex Waldner-skip, Mckenna Legault-3rd, Jacob Duquette-2nd, Madison Stevens-lead, Jayne Hanson-alternate, Coach Blaine Clement), Mixed “B” side: Maple Creek (Janae Wilson-skip, Luke Jaieson-3rd, Ashley Kramer-2nd, Zack Guckert-lead, coach Jocelyn Wilson).
These six teams will represent the south west at SHSAA Regional curling in Regina on March 1-2.
SWAC SECTIONAL JUNIOR CURLING
Junior Sectional Playoffs was held on February 8-9.Thanks to the Leader, Herbert and Shaunavon curling rinks for working with SWAC to run these playoffs. As in the seniors, the top two junior section teams advance to the SWAC District Championship held in Swift Current on March 1-2.
Cypress Hills playoff in Leader (commissioner Lana Marshall)
- Girls “A” side: Fox Valley (Lexi Schneider-skip, Haley Anton-3rd, Kierra Herter-2nd, Trinity Hellman-lead, coach Steve Anton), Girls “B” side: Maple Creek (Hannah Faulkner-skip, Emelie Baynton-3rd, Kate Bandy-2nd, Maizey Cronkite-lead, Naveah Hofer-alternate, coach Rob Stewart/Kylei Parsonage)
- Boys “A” side: Burstall (Cebastian Conkin, Dominic Ehnisz-3rd, Craig Pleau-Stewart-2nd, Mitchell Ehnisz-lead, Jaron Conkin-alternate, coach Brenda Garthus), Boys “B” side: Cabri (Ryder Bradford-skip, Bret Fahselt-3rd, Ethan Oldhauer-2nd, Rhett Jamieson-lead, coach Kayla Klassen/Jade Telke/Suzanne Oldhauer )
- Open “A” side: Leader (Kelsey Klippert-skip, Becca Marshall-3rd, Jacob Kobelsky-2md, Mason Feigger-lead, coach Bruce/Lana Marshall), Open “B” side: Fox Valley (Colby Moir-skip, Karston Hellman-3rd, Brooklyn Schell-2nd, Kesler Hellman-lead, Mikayla Herter-alternate, coach Steve Anton)
Rolling Hills playoff in Herbert (commissioner Brad Robinson).
- Girls “A” side: Gull Lake (Madison Dysart-skip, Rishaya Hervery-3rd, Kalyna Temoskawsky/Emerson Sommer-2nd, Brooklyn Stanford-lead, coach Amy Dysart/Jacquie Andrew), Girls B side: Ponteix (Shaye Legros-skip, Kaitlyn Chenard-3rd, Annika Roberge-2nd, Rachel Christensen-lead, coach Trish Carleton)
- Boys “A” side: SCCHS (Declan Poppy-skip, Ashton Robertson-3rd, Jared Steinley-2nd, Ty Kornfeld-lead, coach Mark Tollefson), Boys “B” side: SC Centennial (Troy Oakman-skip, Parker Latimer-3rd, Austin Robinson-2nd, Rohne Foster-lead, coach Laura Cornelson)
- Open: SC Centennial (Jayda Weibe-skip, Ethan Robinson-3rd, Justin Dash-2nd, Nethan Singbeil-lead, coach Laura Cornelson)
Whitemud sectional is postponed until Wed, Feb 13. For seeding purposes, Eastend open team (Mya Girard-skip, Bodie Duke-3rd, Makayla Bjornson-2nd, Darci Egland-lead, Lola Richarson/Hope Dixon-alternate, coach Kaylee Melhoff/Dianne Johnson), will travel to play the Shaunavon open team (Dylan Heikkila-skip, Rylan Galey-3rd, Carsten Davies-2nd, Renee Cote-lead, coach Matthew Falhman/Connie Allemand/Nancy Leroy). Both teams will advance to the SWAC championship.
UPCOMING SHSAA PLAYOFFS
On March 1-2, the SCCHS wrestling team will compete at the SHSAA Regional Wrestling tournament in Weyburn. Top finishers there advance to provincials in Regina on March 8-9. On that same weekend, the Regional Curling championship takes place in Regina.
All of our senior 1A – 5A SWAC basketball teams will be off to their conference championships on March 8/9. The final conferences have been set by the SHSAA and are posted on their website. This is the first step on the “Road to Hoopla” (provincial basketball championship). Gull Lake Lions and Maple Creek Rebels will each host an SHSAA Conference Boys Basketball championship. We invite you to come and see some excellent basketball action that weekend!!
Follow SWACSPORTS on twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
The Chinook School Division Sports Report is submitted by Val Gordon, SWAC Sports Coordinator.