A growing list of highway closures and travel not recommended advisories are being issued as travel conditions deteriorate in advance of gusting winds and snowfall.
In the Southwest, highways north of Swift Current are already under travel not recommended advisories, with roads impacted by conditions associated with Environment Canada's blowing snow warning which is in effect for the Swift Current - Herbert - Cabri - Kyle - Lucky Lake forecast region.
The travel not recommended advisory for the TransCanada Highway stretches from Rush Lake to Tompkins, while on the #4 highway travel is not recommended from the Junction of Highway #343 south of Swift Current north to Elrose. Highway #32 from Swift Current to Leader is also under a travel not recommended advisory.
Weather has resulted in road closures in the Kindersley area, and Saskatchewan RCMP are advising against travel for much of central and western Saskatchewan.
The Saskatchewan RCMP Media Relations notes that Highways Departments have been advised of the poor conditions and are working to clear the highways in a timely manner but travel is not advised at this time east and west of Saskatoon due to weather conditions.
They also note:
- 45 Hwy west of Saskatoon - both north bound and south bond lanes are essentially blocked due to bad weather and drifting snow (two to three foot drifts).
- 7 Hwy west of Saskatoon is experiencing light drifting.
- 11 Hwy north of Saskatoon is down to one lane at times due to heavy drifting.
- 2 Hwy from 5 Hwy junction to St Louis and area are not advised for travel at this time.
- Travel around North Battleford and west to the border is not advised and some highways are closed at this time.
- Hwy 11 south through to Lumsden and 1 Hwy west of Regina through to Swift Current and surrounding areas.
Highway conditions are deteriorating rapidly as the weather system tracks eastward.
People who have to travel tonight are reminded to visit the Saskatchewan Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure Highway Hotline website http://hotline.gov.sk.ca for the most up-to-date travel conditions.