The Swift Current and District Drug Task Force had yet another successful year during the 2012/2013 school year.
Our vision is to prevent and eliminate substance abuse within our community, by focusing on Prevention, Treatment, Harm Reduction and Community Justice.
Over the course of the last two years, each of our Pillars worked hard to establish a presence in the community. One of our first major goals was to secure a School Liaison Officer. Through hard work and determination from a number of our committee members and the City of Swift Current, with the support of the Chinook School Division, a School Liaison Officer was hired. We were very pleased Constable Jennifer Lepage commenced her position in October 2012, working out of the Swift Current Comprehensive High School. We look forward to the positive impact this position continues to have on our youth.
The Drug Task Force organized other important events, such as:
• Hosted a station at Get Fit Be Fit in March;
• Worked with Fire, RCMP and EMS handing out positive tickets for positive behaviour;
• P.A.R.T.Y program (Prevention of Alcohol and Risk Related Trauma in Youth);
• Participated in Mocktail Competition at SCCHS;
• Assisted with Addictions Awareness Week activities in Nov. 2012;
• Educated the public monthly through local newspapers on various drugs including ecstasy, cocaine, opiates and binge drinking;
• Introduced 40 Developmental Assets at various events including a Bronco game, Kiwanis Apples/Tree sales and Picnic in the Park;
• Hosted the 2013 Provincial Drug Strategy Conference;
• Hosted an evening session on Prescription Drug Use/Abuse with physicians and pharmacists;
• Recognized various people and organizations for their outstanding leadership in healthy lifestyles at our second annual Recognition Luncheon
Lastly, The Drug Task Force steering committee welcomes our newest members: Patti Wilson, Kelsey Macknak, Ron Toles, Meghan Hanna, and Jahnaya Mann.
It takes a lot of dedicated and caring people to help our Drug Task Force become successful and reach our end goal. If you are looking for ways you can help and would like to volunteer in any capacity we encourage you to contact our Communications Director Kirstin Rondeau at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let's work together to create a healthier community for everyone.